M’għandnix għalfejn inmorru wisq il’bogħod biex nirealiżżaw kemm hi serja l-problema tal-abbundanza ta’ plastik li nsibu fil-baħar.
Dan ir-ritratt meħud minn Jeremy Cardona juri xena xejn pjaċevoli f’pajjiżna. Irrid infakkar li fl-aħħar xhur kelmuni sajjieda rikreattivi li qasmu miegħi il-preokupazzjoni tagħhom fuq il-preżenza ta’ plastik u xbieki abbandunati fil-baħar u l-effett dirett li jħalli fuq id-delizzju tagħhom.
Fl-ahhar xhur rajna wkoll filmati ta’ persuni Maltin li sabu fkieren maqbuda fix-xbieki u plastik fl-ibħra Maltin.
Jekk ma nieħdu l-ebda azzjoni, sal-2050 se jkun hemm aktar plastik milli ħut fl-oċeani. Billi pajjiżna huwa mdawwar bil-baħar, aħna l-Maltin għandna inkunu speċjalment imħassba dwar din l-istatistika.
Illum fil-Parlament Ewropew ivvutajna favur miżuri sabiex il-plastik li jintuża darba biss jiġi ipprojbixxit fis-snin li ġejjin (2021) kif ukoll miżuri sabiex niġġieldu kontra l-apparat tas-sajd bħal xbieki u materjal tal-plastik li jintilfu fil-baħar.
Il-miżuri li qegħdin nitolbu għandhom l-għan li jnaqqsu l-iskart tal-plastik. Dawn huma inizjattivi tajbin sabiex inkunu nistgħu ngħixu f’ambjent aħjar fejn il-plastik ma jkunx aktar ta’ tħassib għas-soċjetà u għall-ħajja marittima.
Just a few years ago you would never think that you would be able to watch your favourite shows via the internet or even your mobile device. Thanks to the diversity of ways to watch your favourite shows there has been an increase in consumer internet traffic due to more daily viewings.
Audiovisual media is also a service, therefore it should abide by the rules of the European Single Market.
Instead of sitting in front of the main TV in the household, many Europeans especially youth, watch content online, on demand and on different mobile devices. With all these developments in the recent years it led to the new Audiovisual Media Services Directive, which is coming soon.
This is a new deal set up between the European Commission, the EU Council and the European Parliament.
So, how does this benefit you?
This has finally led to a level of protection for internet media services similar to that for traditional broadcast media.
Some of the most significant cornerstones of the new audiovisual media rules:
1. Quotas for European works will be 30% for both TV service providers and video-on-demand service providers and video-on-demand service providers in their catalogues (“Netflix quotas”).
2. Furthermore, a level of protection for internet media services was negotiated which is similar to that of traditional broadcast media. This means that you will get equal protection whether you are watching a movie on traditional TV or on on-demand TV.
3. Broadcasters are now required to put measures in place which will effectively reduce children’s exposure to publicity for unhealthy food and beverages. Rules of transparency for advertising will now also apply to video-sharing platforms. This was one of our main goals to protect our consumers against excessive advertising.
4. The existing rules already cover traditional TV broadcasters and video on-demand services. The revised version will now cover video-sharing platforms.
5. Services such as YouTube and social media like Facebook will fall under the scope of the revised Directive.
6. Rules will be enhanced against hate speech and public provocation to commit terrorist offences, that prohibit incitement to violence or hatred and provocation to commit terrorist offences in audiovisual media services as well as on video-sharing platforms.
Now not only does the new directive provide you with more European content, your children can now watch their shows in a safe and protective manner and you are not prone to excessive advertising! What more could you possibly want? Enjoy the diversity of shows coming on a screen near you!
PN integrating youth into politics!
We have just launched the programme entitled “Future Leaders” which is aimed at youth between the ages 14-25.
If you fall within this age bracket then you are some of the few that can sign up for a great opportunity!
You will be offered training by AZAD in collaboration with Germany’s Konrad Adenauer Foundation.
This programme compliment’s Party Leader Adrian Delia’s vision for the PN to be a Young party.
By applying for this great opportunity, you will be trained in:
Use of social media
Art of Political Speech
Analysis of political arguments
Future Leaders will kick of from the beginning of November until the first auarter of 2019, free of charge.
If you are interested, then do not miss out on this opportunity. Either send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fill in the online application found on http://tinyurl.com/y7b2uk6v . Applications close on 14th October.
We look forward to seeing you on board!
SUMMER = HOLIDAYS! BUT DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE EU IS DOING TO MAKE IT YOUR BEST SUMMER HOLIDAY POSSIBLE?
By being an EU citizen you are enjoying many rights, but do you know them?
First of all your travel rights! Once in a while, everyone experiences a delay when travelling, but by being an EU citizen you are entitled to compensation for the delay of your flight. When your flight is cancelled, the airline has to provide:
Alternative transport or
Re-routing to the final destination at the earliest convenience and subject to availability, or
Offer reimbursement of the full cost of the unused ticket segments
Besides this, you are also entitled to meals and refreshments depending on the time you spend waiting.
If your flight is taking off the day after, the airline should also offer you hotel accommodation and you should also be provided with transport from the hotel to the airport.
When a flight delay lasts longer than 3 hours you are entitled up to 600 euro depending on the distance travelled.
Take a look below to see what are your passenger rights for other modes of transport:
Travelling by train? Know your rights -> https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/rail/index_en.htm
Travelling by bus and coach? Know your rights ->https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/bus-and-coach/index_en.htm
Travelling by ship? Know your rights -> https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/ship/index_en.htm